National Court Administration, Family Register Office for Overseas Koreans


Report of Divorce

Divorce by agreement (between a Korean and a foreigner)

A couple that divorced by agreement in a foreign country, according to the foreign country’s practice, may file a report of divorce along with a certified copy of the deed. In reporting a divorce concluded in a foreign country, a certified copy of the deed shall be submitted to the head of the overseas Korean diplomatic mission with jurisdiction over the relevant area within three months. The report may be filed even after the reporting period ends. However, a person who should file a report but fails to do so within the specified period without good cause shall be subject to an administrative fine.